Sustainability at Yellowstone
Here is a glimpse at our GreenPath program in West Yellowstone.
See more of our Green Path TV Episodes on Vimeo.
Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts at Yellowstone (DNC) is committed to pollution prevention through our rigorous Environmental Management System (EMS),GreenPath, which is registered to ISO 14001 (International Organization for Standardization). DNC at Yellowstone operates grocery, retail, food and beverage services within Yellowstone National Park along with owning four properties in West Yellowstone, MT. GreenPath provides required policies and procedures that assure sustainable efforts are implemented throughout all of our operations. This program specifically focuses on reducing our impacts on natural resources (energy, water, and air), the management of waste and materials (hazardous and non-hazardous), material use, and environmental interpretation.
In our efforts DNC follows strict procedures for recycling, waste management, environmental purchasing, sustainable design and construction, water and energy consumption, and air pollution. These efforts have built a reputation for DNC as a leader in sustainability throughout the communities we work in as well as throughout the hospitality and concessions world.
- Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts own Lake and Tower General Stores in West Yellowstone. The stores were certified under the Greater Yellowstone Framework for Sustainable Development. The GY-Framework in a voluntary ecosystem-based rating system for sustainable development modeled after the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. It includes and goes beyond the application of LEED green building standards to address the nationally significant natural and cultural values of the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem. Learn more about Greater Yellowstone Framework for Sustainable Development.
- The 2010 Montana State EcoStar Award was presented to DNC for pollution prevention efforts and its successful and efficient waste reduction efforts inside as well as outside of Yellowstone National Park.
- 2010 Yellowstone Business Partnership's Greater Yellowstone Framework for Sustainable Development was awarded to DNC for remodel efforts at the Lake General Store (Tower General Store is pending). The standards for this award emulate the US Green Building Council's LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), and is a voluntary ecosystem-based rating system specific to the Greater Yellowstone area. DNC volunteered as a pilot application for the GY-Framework and was the first project to be awarded certification.
- 2010 The Dennis Szefel Stewardship Award was presented to Yellowstone General Stores. This internal award exemplifies the DNC Parks and Resorts spirit and passion for the highest levels of respect, care and interpretation programs. This includes interpretive panels, product offerings, marketing etc. that help tell the property's story. Active interpretation through instructor led free or paid educational programming. And, unit associate product knowledge.
- DNC operations at Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks were awarded the NPS Environmental Achievement Award for their Environmental Management System - GreenPath®.
- 2009 Montana State EcoStar Award was presented to DNC for pollution prevention and its successful and efficient waste reduction efforts within the historic park.
- The 2008 Montana State EcoStar Award was presented to DNC for pollution prevention and its successful and efficient waste reduction efforts within the historic
- DNC at Yellowstone & Yosemite National Park was awarded the NPS Environmental Achievement Award for their recycling programs.
- Delaware North's operations in Yosemite and Yellowstone received an honorable mention from the U.S. Department of the Interior for recycling efforts.
- Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts at Yellowstone receives the Montana State EcoStar Award for its efforts in preventing pollution in America's oldest National Park.
- Yellowstone National Park and Concessioner Employees (including Delaware North Companies), MT and WY Departments of Environmental Quality, and Environmental Protection Agency, Region 8, Environmental Stewardship at YNP and the greater Yellowstone area, Wyoming were collaboratively awarded the NPS Environmental Achievement Award for combined efforts in contributing to the greening of the greater Yellowstone area. As a park partner, DNC contributed to the greening of Yellowstone through its environmental stewardship program, GreenPath.
- Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts at Yellowstone was presented with the Distinguished Service Citation National Award - Keep America Beautiful Award for waste reduction efforts.
- Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts at Yellowstone - NPS Environmental Achievement Award - Honorable Mention for their Environmental Management System, GreenPath.